White clouds float about the four different shaped towers’ weathercocks, as you gaze upon the glass paintings of the first floor chapel and glance into the stone hall. A solemn petrified lion stands guard at the base of the wooden stairs. On the ceiling there is a Stag Horn chandelier, the so-called “Melusina”. And such a fireplace is there!
Luckily, not only the façade of the building, but also fragments of the former interior remains.
The second castle of Chynadieve, situated in the centre of the village, was not so lucky. Its history is a longer and more dramatic one.
The stern Chynadieve fortress – with two corner towers, meter thick walls and mysterious vaults – was built in the 14th century by Baron Pereni. This stronghold became the centre of the village of Chynadieve. In 1657 the fortress was destroyed by Polish troops and then rebuilt. The castle was reconstructed many times, with the most considerable changes made in 1734 and 1839. They tried to make a seigniorial manor from this inhospitable fortress, as was in fashion at that time. Then workers found a strange skeleton in the walls. What a field for legend-makers! During the fascist invasion the castle was turned into a prison.
Nearby the fortress is the humble house of local artist Joseph Bartos. A Few years ago the artist rented the castle and now is doing his best in order to restore it. Thanks to him the castle has a new roof and can hope that its life is starting onto a new brighter path. Could it be anything else in our bright Transcarpathian region?